Saturday, October 24, 2009

Kessel Run sounds more like a Triathlon to me


Below is a real life FB fucking thread between me and my pals. I love my fucking nerds!

Be scared there is a lot of math and junk in there...

Dave Styer
Woke up wonderin, just how long is a parsec. An hour, a day , a month? Just how fast did they make the Kessel Run anyway?

Will Stone
I think a parsec is a unit of linear measure like a light year.

James Brown
Very similar to a "click" i believe

Dave Styer
I stand corrected.
Han Solo claimed that his Millennium Falcon "made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs". A parsec was a unit of distance, not time. Solo was not referring directly to his ship's speed when he made this claim. Instead, he was referring to the shorter route he was able to travel by skirting the nearby Maw black hole cluster... Read More, thus making the run in under the standard distance. By moving closer to the black holes, Solo managed to cut the distance down to about 11.5 parsecs. The smuggler, BoShek, actually beat Solo's record in his ship, Infinity, but without cargo to weigh him down.

A few months later, Han Solo beat both his own and BoShek's records in a run he made with Luke Skywalker.

James Brown
Han is a badass, period

Ashley Phillips
that's like what happened on cannonball run.

Dave Styer
ASHLEY!!!! It is! How's GA? I miss ya!

Ashley Phillips
there's a lot of sick here but it's still nice and southern. how's the utah?

Melissa McKim
3.25 light years which is a distance but sort of an amount of time as well if lightspeed is indeed constant which is what it is all based on so there ya go.

Carolyn Rittweger
DUH! ;)

Melissa McKim
urm...i used to be into like space and shit.

Dave Styer
The Utah...hmmm...Hamthrax just came to my work, so I think I'll probably get it. Just Mid-Westerny I guess.

Alan Ralph Berg
I remember reading the Han Solo Trilogy when I was a boy and yes a parsec is the distance, but it seemed to me he was talking about 2 weeks it took him to do that run.

Dave Styer

Well...so it takes how long to travel a light year M? I NEED TO KNOW!!

Melissa McKim
9.4605284 × 1015 meters thank you wikipedia

Melissa McKim
ack that's supposed to be the 10 to the power of 15!

Dave Styer
MATH!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Melissa McKim

oh and one regular year.

Dave Styer
Um...so how long does it take? Maybe this is why the people at tootsie had such a hard time findin out how long it took to get to the guts of a tootsie pop?


Melissa McKim
well the point of it all is that it takes a year to go a light year travelling at the speed of light so...han solo is wrong. AWESOME but wrong.

Melissa McKim
thank-you mr owl? ;)

Dave Styer
So 3.25 x 12 RIGHT!? 39 years!! It took him 39 years!!

Melissa McKim
quite a lifespan those hot space pirates got huh?

Dave Styer
Yeah! He looks good!

Tristin Tabish

nerdiest thread ever! LOVE IT!

Melissa McKim
math, star wars, semantics...what more could you want?!

Dave Styer
My brain hurts.

Dear FACEBOOK, thanks for ruining this post with your gay ass CAPTCHA! SPORTS!! UGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment